Need-Based Scholarship Application Instructions
Every year, Smithtown Christian School provides significant help for families with verifiable need through its Tuition Assistance Program now aptly named Need-Based Scholarships. The mission of the Need-Based Scholarship Program is to provide as many mission-aligned families as possible with the means to acquire a distinctively Christian education for their children. Need-based scholarships are available for both current and new families.
Financial need is determined by one of our strategic partners, FACTS Grant and Aid Assessment Service. Using a non-biased third-party service frees the SCS Board from having to wade through the time- consuming and very sensitive task of determining actual financial needs of our families. FACTS does not make decisions about actual awards; their service merely calculates applicants’ level of need/ability to pay, according to information provided by families and industry-standard best practices. The SCS Board designated Need-Based Scholarship Committee determines actual awards, as outlined below.
To apply, between March 1 and April 15, create a user account, pay the $30 application fee, and follow the on-screen instructions. (Note that all applications for Need-Based Scholarships must be submitted online.)
- The SCS Need-based Scholarship Committee begins accepting applications on March 1st with a deadline of April 15th. Tuition assistance, for the following school year, will be awarded to families on May 17th. Acceptance of awards must be received by May 30th.
- Applications generally take 2-3 weeks to process once all information and documentation has been submitted and verified.
- In addition to the information and documentation that must be submitted online to FACTS, applicants must also submit the last three (3) months of official, bank-issued bank statements to FACTS via FAX at 866-315-9264. Applications will not be processed without all required documentation on file with FACTS.
- The Need-Based Scholarship awarding process may include an in-person interview with the Committee to review the application.
- All applicants will be informed of the committee’s decision in writing. Along with the notice of the committee’s decision will be the terms and conditions of the award, including ongoing GPA requirements, timeliness of payments, etc.
- Applications for Need-Based Scholarships for new families will not be considered by the committee until a complete admissions application is submitted to the school.
- Scholarships will not exceed 50% of full tuition.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please call the school office at 631-265-3334. If your questions are technical in nature, or are regarding the process of actually filling out the Need-Based Scholarship application, call the FACTS phone number listed on their website.