Thank you for your interest in Smithtown Christian School. We have been welcoming international students into our SCS family for several years. Continue reading to find out more about the application process.
2020-21 Important Links
Superintendent’s welcome letter for prospective international students
International Students Admissions Requirements
Step 1 – Admissions application must be filled out in its entirety.
• One application should be used per student
• Copy of Passport
• Written Christian personal testimonies of both parents
• Registration fee must be submitted with Admissions Application.
• See included International Students Tuition and Fee Schedule and Admissions Calendar 2020-21 for details.
• To pay the registration fee by wire, contact Mrs. Alice Feldman (email@example.com).
• Affidavit of Support
• Homestay Agreement
• Religion Questionnaire
Step 2 – School Records
We need to gain a full understanding of your child’s record of scholastic achievement, challenges and potential. Please submit school records that reflect the previous 3 grade levels.
Standardized Test Results – ITEP Slate Plus is preferred but we will also consider TOEFL or TOEFL Jr. Arrange to have the results sent directly to SCS.
Step 3 – Liability Waivers
• a) International Student Agreement
• b) Student Liability and Travel Release
• c) Authorization to Treat a Minor
Step 4 – Health Packet
Please fill out the required information. (Only one immunization form should be completed for each student.)
• Immunization Requirement Information
• Immunization Requirements - Grade 5
• Immunization Requirements - Grades 6 through 12
• Health History/Immunization Form
Please note that students will need to have a health exam by a New York State doctor before they can start school. The Host Family will arrange the appointment.
Step 5 – Letters of Recommendation
• Prospective Student Pastoral Reference Form
• Prospective Student Family Friend Reference Form
• English Teacher Recommendation
• Math Teacher Recommendation
Step 6 – Student Essay
Students entering grades 6-12 must submit an original essay on why they want to be a student at SCS. The essay must be 1 page typed, double -spaced +/- 250 words.
The application process will not continue until all the above documents and fees have been submitted to SCS.
Step 7 – Interview
• Once all documents and fees have been received the Coordinator of International Students will contact you to set up an interview.
• If the parent(s) and child are within the tri-state area, the interview will be conducted at SCS.
• If the parent(s) and child are not within the tri-state area, the interview will be conducted through an online service such as Skype or Facetime.
• After the interview is completed, all records, forms and a summary of the interview will be submitted to the Admissions Committee for review. If the student meets all the requirements, the parents will be informed that the student has been accepted and the I-20 will be prepared.
Please note: Upon arrival in the U.S., all students will be given a New York State Placement Test to determine the need for ESL instruction. In the event that this indicates the need for ESL, your child will be placed into ESL classes and SCS reserves the right to charge the ESL fee of $4750.00 per year.
Please feel free to contact Mrs. Alice Feldman if you need any assistance. Her contact information is as follows:
phone: (631) 265-3334
A ministry of: Smithtown Gospel Tabernacle