Elementary students at SCS attend STEM class (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) each week in our Elementary STEM lab. Using curriculum from Amplify Science, students learn about real life problems in the world and how they can be addressed using teamwork and a variety of skill sets. Students are highly engaged in experiments and projects to develop their God-given skills to be good
stewards of God’s world.
In addition to STEM class, students are invited to participate in Makerspace, a less formal opportunity to practice STEM-related concepts in small groups based on student interests.
Some of the key objectives of the STEM classes are for our students to:
- Ask questions and define problems
- Develop and use models
- Plan and carry out investigations
- Analyze and interpret data
- Connect what they are already learning in Science and Math with real world problems
- Work cooperatively with other students to solve problems
- Develop communication skills and encourage students to share their ideas in several ways (Speaking, writing, drawing, building)
- Take ownership for their learning